The roofs of the well-groomed houses of western Europe are invariably associated with the original weathercock. Its main purpose is to tell the observer the direction of the wind, certain structures are able to determine the speed of air flows. But the functions of weather vanes are much broader than generally accepted representations. The description of various designs and features of manufacturing will help to choose the suitable model which it will be possible to issue with own hands. Photos and video materials will add clarity to the topic.
Priority place of installation of a weather vane is a pipe on the roof, which is an integral part in the heating system. To extend the period of its operation and create conditions for installing a weather vane, a smoke pipe is required above the pipe. Key functions of the protective cap:
- limits precipitation of atmospheric precipitation;
- blocks the way to small rubbish;
- prevents the penetration of birds;
- reduces the risk of fire from sparks.
In addition to practical properties, the smoke fume plays a decorative role, being the basic basis for installing a wind vane. Forms that can be given a smokehouse when equipped with their own hands are very different:
- imitation of a two- or four-slope roof;
- cone-shaped fungus;
- arch protection;
- flat surface.
Often there are situations where gusts of strong wind blow out into the pipe, preventing the exit of combustion products. In this case, it is necessary to make a special design of the smoke detector in the form of a deflector, which increases the thrust. The appearance of the weather vane deflector can take different outlines depending on the manufacturing options. The design made in production conditions is presented in the photo below:
If you want to make your own hands a practical weathervane, it is better to refer to the model shown in the photo:
Production of a deflector
There are several options for the construction of a smoke detector in the form of a weather vane deflector.
To make correctly your own hands a reliable deflector, you must adhere to the established proportions:
- The height of the wind vane is adjusted to the internal section of the chimney in a ratio of 1.7: 1.
- The width of the structure is 1.3 times the diameter of the chimney.
The photos show examples of different designs of the weather vane deflector:
You can use:
- sheet of galvanized iron;
- stainless steel;
The self-winding vane deflector includes several stages:
- Development of a sketch of details of a smokehouse (diffuser, hood and cylinder). Make the project better on a tight cardboard.
- The templates of the deflector are transferred to the metal, after which they are cut out.
- The connection of individual elements can be done in various ways: by fixing with rivets, using bolts or welding.
- To install the weather vane deflector you will need a ring with a bearing assembly. This device ensures the rotation of the smoke box.
The diagram of the installation of the deflector with its own hands and the principle of its operation are shown in the photo:
Properly and accurately executed design of the smoke box in addition to the practical function of increasing the thrust serves as an excellent ornamental decoration of the pipe. The variant of manufacturing a simple model by oneself is presented in the video:
To show the direction of the wind - it is this historically formed weathervane function that is fixed in the minds of people. All constructions can be divided into four types:
- Wind vane, in addition to direction, allows you to determine the strength of the wind.
- The meteorological instrument sets the direction of motion of air masses with maximum accuracy.
- The weather vane deflector, which we described in detail earlier, prevents wind blowing into the pipe, protects it from rain and simultaneously increases traction.
- The mechanism with the propeller makes it possible to determine the intensity of the movement of air currents.
At present, this is mostly an object of decorative design, so many craftsmen invent original models of weathercocks, attracting enthusiastic views of passers-by.
Regardless of the model chosen, for the correct design of the weather vane you will need to make the basic details:
- Housing. To make it, you should have a sheet of metal about 15 cm at your fingertips.
- The wind rose is collected from metal rods connected at an angle of 90about. At their ends are fixed letters with the designation of the sides of the world.
- Flugarka in the form of a metal arrow indicates the direction of the wind.
- Collect all the elements necessary on the axis, for which take the reinforcing bar.
The original design of the weather vane, which can be made by a person who knows the skills of working with metal, is depicted in the photo below:
Variety of devices
The lack of professional skills in metal processing is not an obstacle to the manufacture of the required structure. Fantasy and creativity allows you to make a simple device for determining the direction of the wind from the following materials:
- sheets of plywood;
- wooden bars;
- plastic bottles;
- CD-ROM drive.
The thematic focus of the figures crowning the weather vane is very diverse. It can be ships, animals, birds, funny figures of people or fairy-tale characters. Look at the photos of the most common designs:
How to make a simple weathervane model, remotely resembling an airplane, clearly demonstrates the following video:
Designing an Aircraft
It is possible to show creative inclinations by manufacturing in the form of an airplane. The whole work consists of two key blocks - the construction of a figure of the aircraft itself and the fitting of the rod to fix it. Approximate dimensions of the aircraft during the design: length - 50 cm, wingspan - 30 cm.
To equip the stock you will need to prepare:
- The metal pipe is of sufficient length. In the upper part, the thread is cut, the opposite edge is placed in the bearing. The optimum diameter of the inner ring of the tube is not less than 10 mm.
- Metal rod in the role of the axis of the weathercock. Its diameter must match the bearing on the body.
- The wind rose is fixed to the end of the pipe, which has a thread.
- The axis is inserted into the through hole in such a way that the details of the future weathervane in the form of an airplane are densely placed in the bearing ring.
- An important step is to check the degree of sensitivity of the structure. To control the ease of sliding the axis of the weather vane you need to set the motion. Comment! To protect the body structure from moisture, a steel or copper cap is welded on top of it.
- Calculating the required size of the axis of the weather vane, the excess part is cut off.
- The aircraft is fixed to the rod with a slight inclination. Streams of wind falling on the wing, set in motion the design.
To estimate the more complicated design of the weathervane of an airplane it is possible in the proposed video:
Nuances of installation
Before fixing the structure with an airplane on the roof of the house, it is first necessary to make the body stuffing with solidol. Then proceed to adjust the rose of the winds, with the help of a compass pointers are exposed in accordance with the sides of the world. After the preparatory procedures go to the installation of the device. Installation of a weather vane design in the form of an airplane can be done in several ways:
- using metal spacers, which are fixed on the chimney;
- welding a round flange to the body of the device for determining the wind;
- using flat metal profiles or clamps.
Proper installation of the structure ensures the motion of the weather vane in the form of an airplane even with a slight blow of the wind.
And a few more tips of specialists:
- For correct operation of the device, its installation on the roof is carried out using a level. The rod must be strictly vertical.
- When fixing to the chimney, it is convenient to use metal staples or clamps.
- Precise work weathervane is possible with the timely lubrication of the bearing.
Unmistakable design and properly selected material is the first step to creating a technically accurate design, whether it is a device for determining the direction of the wind or the weather vane deflector. Important is the stage of its installation on the roof. Carefully designed sequence of work will ensure a beautiful decorative design of the pipe along with the practical design purpose.
Flyvarka on the chimney
How to cover the roof with corrugated board
Flyugarka on the pipe with their own hands
Minimum angle of inclination of the roof for corrugated board