It is said that every man must do three things in life: build a house, plant a tree and raise a son. But, every self-respecting man considers it his duty to build a garage. This is the "holy of holies", where the owner can not only store his car, but also spend time doing repairs, resting and moving away from external cares. It is clear that building a garage with your own hands is not an easy task. But, the process can be called pleasant, since the result is worth it.
As in the construction of any building, everything starts with a foundation. This is the basis of your garage. The difference from the house is that it takes less time, effort and money to install the tape foundation. One of the popular types of grounds for the garage is the strip foundation. How to make it? What do you need to consider? Can I do the work myself? Let's find out.
Tape foundation - is it worth
Why do many choose this type of foundation? Is not it easier to make a garage on screw stiles or poles? It is clear that the time, money and effort for the device will be more. It's all about the design of the ribbon foundation. It consists of a monolithic reinforced concrete strip, which passes under each wall of the garage, both bearing and parting. The tape penetrates into the ground and transfers the entire load to it. What is so good strip foundation for the garage?
- It is durable, reliable and durable. Correctly made concrete base can stand up to 200 years.
- Due to the design, the strip foundation can withstand heavy loads. Most often the garage is built of brick or heavy blocks. Not all foundations can withstand such a load.
- Although the device will require a lot of material, for the garage is not terrible. It is small and often has only four sides. It is not difficult to make such a box, and there is no need to deepen the foundation. Therefore, the costs will not be capital.
- Can you imagine a garage without a pit? If you go to repair a car in a car repair shop, then it's easy for you. But in order to perform technical repairs of your vehicle in the garage, a pit is needed. With a ribbon foundation you will easily do it.
- You can build a strip foundation on almost any type of soil and even under a slight slope.
All these positive moments speak for themselves. If you want the garage to stand for a long time, without any special repair work, we recommend to think about this very reason.
The foundation for a garage, where to start
If you decide to build, then such a question will be entirely logical. Many immediately begin to dig a pit, buy materials and tools. But, this is not entirely correct. No wonder the people say: "Measure seven times, cut one off." This principle also applies in our case. The construction of the basement for the garage begins on paper.
The first step is to draw a garage drawing. On paper, you need to specify the exact dimensions, shape, width of walls and layout of the structure. So, you can not only calculate the required amount of materials for construction, but also see the future foundation on paper. The tape will pass under each wall. Take a look at this diagram.
But this is exactly what the ribbon foundation will be in finished form on the ground, given the exact dimensions.
The drawing serves as a guide, allowing you to properly dig a trench, with all sizes. In addition, you must determine in advance the place where the garage will be built.
On the selected site, it is necessary to perform a number of geodetic works to determine the type of soil, the depth of freezing and the location of groundwater. If the water is close, it will be necessary to build a drainage system. In the event that the depth of freezing of the ground is large, the tape needs to be deepened accordingly. On average, this figure can vary from 50 cm to 1 m in depth, and the width is chosen taking into account the thickness of the walls with trim. For the garage is usually enough 40-50 cm.
What to do next? Now it is necessary to prepare the plot, remove it, demolish everything and buy all the materials. You will need a concrete mixer, so lend it at the time of pouring or take out a lease. In addition, do not forget about the necessary communications. The site should have access to water and electricity. Without them, it will be difficult to work. When everything is ready, you can begin to build a strip foundation under the garage.
Tools and materials for work
Without them, everything will fail. We want to note that you can build a band foundation yourself. The main thing is to stick to technology and make efforts. All the tools you need are easy to get. They are simple, so there will not be anything complicated in the process. The list of tools and materials is as follows:
- A string or a line, pegs and a hammer for the device of a marking of the garage foundation.
- Shovels and scrap for earth works.
- Level, tape measure, level, plumb bob for tightness control.
- Manual or mechanical rammer.
- The bars of the armature are Ø8 or 10 mm, the knitting wire is made of metal to make the reinforcement.
- Boards, beams, racks, screwdrivers and screws for formwork.
- Sand and gravel for the pillow.
- Cement, sand, crushed stone and plasticizers for mixing concrete.
- Concrete mixer, buckets, wheelbarrow for working with cement mortar.
- Vibrator for compacting concrete.
- Trowel or rule for leveling the surface of the foundation tape.
If you have prepared all this, then further work will not be terrible for you.
Construction of the basement for the garage in stages
Tune in to the fact that the process will not be easy. Long-term land works, reinforcement, formwork, pouring and much more await you. If you take into account that the finished strip foundation will dry for about 30 days, then it is not worth counting on a quickly constructed base. So, let's take a closer look at what you need to do.
- Based on your finished plan, you should perform the markup. For work you will need a rope and pegs. It turns out that you need to transfer the drawing of the foundation from the paper to the ground, while observing clear geometric shapes. Pegs are driven into the corners of the building, a rope stretches between them. The same is done on the inside to form a tape. Rovness is checked on the diagonals. They must converge.
- When the markup is completed, you can start the land works. If the soil is malleable, then this is to your advantage. The process will go quickly. If there are stones in it, use scrap. For such work you will need an assistant and not one. So, you can make everything much faster. The trench under the foundation is digged with shovels, the evenness of the walls is checked by a plumb. Measure the depth with tape measure tape. It should be the same everywhere.
- The next stage of the foundation is the preparation of a sand cushion. Without it, the foundation will not be so strong. The cushion serves as a kind of drainage, protecting the foundation from moisture. To install it, you need to compact the bottom of the foundation trench. After that, fill the bottom with sand, moisten it with water and carefully compact it. Its layer should be 10-15 cm. In advance, you can make a mark on the walls to reach it, stop. The same layer of gravel or crushed stone is made from above.
- Now you can start ground operations. You must make a formwork for the foundation. It is necessary for the formation of the garage socle above the ground. Accordingly, the structure should be strong and airtight, so that the concrete does not leak out and do not break down the structure. The same applies to geometric shapes. You can buy the completed formwork and just install it, or you can make it yourself. If there are no skills in this area, it is better to choose the first option. After all, a lot depends on the formwork. Without it, you can not see a quality foundation. For reliability, the inner side can be sewn with polyethylene. So, the composition will not flow out and the formwork will be easier to clean. The main thing in this work is to strengthen the formwork well, as shown in the photo.
- When the formwork of the foundation is ready, it can be strengthened by reinforcement. A frame is made from the bars of the reinforcement and placed in the tape. On the diagram you can see how everything looks.
- It's time to pour our foundation. You should prepare the solution and start pouring it into the tape. You can order ready-made concrete without wasting time on its preparation. It is recommended to fill everything in one go, not letting the concrete dry. So, you will create a monolithic structure. Pour the foundation layers in 20-30 cm, compacting the concrete and expelling air from it.
- When you have reached the desired level, it remains to level the surface.
That's all, your ribbon foundation under the garage with your own hands is ready. It remains to cover it with polyethylene for protection and wait until it dries completely for 30 days. After 10-15 days you can remove the formwork.
Now with confidence you can say that you have laid a qualitative basis for your garage. This is a huge part of the job. Further all is simple - to erect a box, to construct a pit and to execute furnish of garage. A ribbon foundation will serve you long.
Self-propelled pile foundation + video
Waterproofing for foundation
Horizontal and vertical waterproofing of the foundation
The foundation for a brick garage